The HTA will be hosting its New Plant Awards as a ‘virtual’ event this year following the cancellation of the National Plant Show in June due to Coronavirus.
HTA President, Boyd Douglas-Davies said: “We are so excited to be able to launch a virtual version of the New Plant Awards. The Awards are an important… event within the horticulture calendar and they allow our UK growers and plant suppliers to showcase the wonderful new plants they have been cultivating.”
The Awards will include both a professionally judged and an online, visitor voted, award in each of the following categories:
- Herbaceous Perennials
- Shrubs & Climbers
- Trees & Conifers
In each category the judges will decide Bronze, Silver and Gold winners. Best in Category winners will be put forward for Best Overall Winner.
‘Virtual visitors’ will be able to vote on their favourite plants via a link which will be publicised on Monday 15 June. Winners will be announced on Wednesday 17 June.
The judges for this year’s Awards:
- Matthew Biggs - TV & radio gardening personality, garden writer
- Tamsin Westhorpe - Horticultural journalist & gardener, Joint Chair, Garden Media Guild
- Ian Hodgson - Garden writer, editor, consumer magazines
- Jonathan Savage - General Manager, Scotsdales Garden Centres
- Lesley Watson - Director of New Hopetoun Gardens
There is still time for virtual exhibitors to register their interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, but entries must be submitted by the deadline of Friday 29 May.
Agapanthus ‘AMB001’ ‘Fireworks’ from Fairweather’s Nursery was been crowned Best in Showin 2019