Barton Grange Garden Centre in Preston, Lancashire won the Destination Garden Centre (DGC) category and Castle Gardens in Sherborne, Dorset won in the smaller Garden Centre (GC - under £5m turnover) category in the 2021 Garden Association’s (GCA) annual Christmas competition.
The full results for the area winners
- Midlands: Gates (DGC) and Planters Bretby (GC).
- South Thames: Garsons Garden Centre – Esher (DGC) and Castle Gardens (GC).
- North Thames: Sunshine Garden Centre (DGC) and Squire’s Stanmore (GC).
- North West: Barton Grange (DGC).
- North East: Tong Garden Centre (DGC).
- Wales and West: Whitehall Lacock (DGC) and the Old Railway Line (GC).
David Fawcett-Ropner, Display Manager at Barton Grange, said: “Being nationally recognised for all the hard work everyone throughout the garden centre has put in to making our displays so magical, especially during what has been another challenging year, makes it even more worthwhile.
“We start planning for Christmas a whole year in advance, and we’re so delighted to see all the effort and commitment being rewarded by the GCA, but also appreciated by our customers.”
Louise Burks, director of The Gardens Group, which owns Castle Gardens in Sherborne, Brimsmore Gardens in Yeovil and Poundbury Gardens in Dorchester, said: “To have the team’s creativity, resourcefulness and hard work recognised with these national accolades is just fantastic!
"…the team has gone above and beyond to make the displays as magical and exciting as ever, while ensuring they are safe and welcoming for everyone.”
The top 10 centres overall
The top 10 centres overall will also receive a ‘Christmas Centre of Excellence’ certificate
- Barton Grange Garden Centre
- Bents Garden Centre
- Castle Gardens
- Garsons Garden Centre – Esher
- Fron Goch
- Ruxley Manor
- Old Railway Line
- Garsons Garden Centre – Titchfield
- Sunshine Garden Centre
Runners up in the DGC category were, in second place, Bents Garden Centre and in third Garsons Esher. In the GC category in second place was Old Railway Line Garden Centre and in third place, Brimsmore Gardens, part of The Gardens Group.