TASK (Training Academy for Skills & Knowledge) launched this Autumn 2022 to tackle the ever-widening skills gap that is affecting the UK’s land-based industries. An independent landscaping and land-based training academy, TASK services both industry professionals and members of the public.
Founded and created by multi award-winning industry professional Rupert Keys (Keyscape Design & Construction Ltd), alongside a specially curated cohort of industry professionals, the TASK Academy offers a broad range of LANTRA accredited landscaping courses. These are delivered through practical, hands-on learning days, in small groups, spanning one to four days. Based in Worcestershire, West Midlands with easy transport links, TASK is well placed for UK and International students.
The landscaping industry has grown 18% in less than 10 years and contributes £1billion to the UK economy. This growth is largely attributed to the global realisation and acceptance of the hugely significant benefits of well-designed exterior spaces. Both private and commercial sectors have been investing in improving their outdoor environments and this rise in demand has led to a crippling skills gap within the landscaping and land-based industries. The lack of training facilities has meant that employers have been experiencing significant difficulty when attempting to either upskill their current workforce or recruit trained personnel.
TASK has been set up to tackle this issue and help futureproof the industry. Founder and Managing Director Rupert said:
“At TASK we recognise the importance and need for quality training and our future focus is to work with students and employers to address the industry skills gap by providing a wide range of practical landscaping courses taught by industry experts.
“We are committed to improving the skills of current and future generations and we hope by providing high quality professional hands-on training, students will develop or build on their skills and knowledge to help them further their careers.
“Our public courses include a range of one day courses which are perfectly suited to garden enthusiasts and those wanting to acquire new skills and save money in their DIY garden projects.”
Frances Tophill, friend of TASK and BBC Gardeners’ World presenter officially opened the Academy on Saturday 10th September by unveiling a plaque commemorating the launch.
Frances said: “I feel incredibly privileged and grateful to have learnt so much from Rupert and his team. I have experienced, first hand, his patience, kindness and encyclopaedic knowledge that led to our Platinum Award and Best In Show garden at BBC Gardeners’ World Live this year. I know that the TASK Academy will be a real asset to our industry and I wholeheartedly support its growth and longevity.”
Courses take place at the Academy’s rural Worcestershire headquarters in the village of Birlingham near Pershore. The site has been taking shape over the last few years and is fully equipped with a fully adapted indoor training barn with a purpose built classroom for theory learning as well as outdoor teaching spaces.
Current courses on offer include the following:
NB Prices exclude vat
- Porcelain Paving Installation 9/10 Jan – 29/30 March £390
- Introduction to Brick Laying 17/18 January – 7/8 March – 4/5 April £390
- General Landscaping 25/26 Jan – 1/2 March – 18/19 April
- Decking – all you need to know 7/8 Feb – 20/21 April £390
- Garden Designers Introduction to Practical Landscaping 9 – 11 Feb – 26 – 28 April £585
- Natural Stone Paving 14/15 Feb – 11/12 April £390.00
- Dry Stone Walling 16/17 February £390
- Water Features Training for Landscapers 28 February
- Block Paving Installation 21/22 March – 13/14 April From £250
- Turf sourcing, laying and immediate aftercare 31 March £125
- Irrigation Systems Training for Landscapers 6th April £125
- Christmas Wreath Workshops December 2022 various dates £40.83
- Introduction to Brick Laying 14 January & 1 April £150
- Block Paving & Porcelain - General Landscaping 27 January
- Brickwork & Paving - General Landscaping Skills Saturday 18 Feb £150
- Introduction to Dry Stone Walling 24 Feb & 15th April £150
- Garden Design – the basics 11 March £150
- Decking & Fencing - General Landscaping Skills 24 March £150
- Garden Planting Design 29 April £150
TASK works closely with carefully selected supplier-based industry partners and leaders who have a wealth of experience within their fields, giving an insight that many training providers are unable to offer. These partners are as follows and more details about each partner can be found HERE.
For more information, please visit www.taskacademy.co.uk
Instagram - t_a_s_k_
Facebook - TASK Training Academy for Skills & Knowledge